Thursday, April 27, 2006

Sandwiched

she has gotten old on me
sometimes I think I fret over her
more than I fuss over my young

"don't worry about me, I can take care of myself"

I complain about her sillyshoes
I know a fall could be fatal
a broken hip could signal the end

"you're the one who's always falling down"

she is smaller, more fragile
each time I see her, her steps less certain
at times she uses a cane

"It's just for stability, not support"

it has been years since my father died
I joke with her about finding a new boyfriend
though we both know she still loves Daddy

"who wants to take care of some old man anyway"

at times she makes me crazy
I must admit I am powerless over her
she has become unmanagable

"you are a bad girl" I scold
when I find her planning something
that is obviously beyond her abilities to do

"I think I should get a car"

all too soon
she will be gone
my confidant, my best girl friend, my Mother

"you could die before me you know"...

dedicated toM.G.S.E. 2/19/1916-10/09/2003

2 Comments:

Blogger Helene said...

nice... very moving ty

11:14 AM, April 28, 2006  
Blogger Cheshire Cat said...

My condolences; even though over 2 years have gone by, it must pain you almost as much now as then.

5:14 PM, April 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home