Sunday, April 30, 2006

unchampioned

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. - S.Freud

1
slug
making love to ground
leaves pecker trails
glistening
along sidewalks
at midnight

why such revulsion for this unassuming creature

it seems unfair
other denizens
of similar appearance
are said to evoke envy

what drags out this vehement hatred

do women fear rape,men mutilation

2
he taught my child
to salt those slugs
I would rather
have kept as pets

they made little noise
and were never known
to tip over
our garbage cans

3
away from him
in my own place
I encouraged them
kept lights on outside
at night
for their safety

when I tried
to buy them food
at a pet store
all I got
were funny looks

4
somehow
I killed one
last night

there was a disgusting
"pop"
as I climbed
red brick steps

I have tried hard
to convince myself
it was already dead
when I stepped on it

otherwise

it would have tried
to get out
of my way

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home