Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Hate Boat

I came into this relationship
with enough baggage
to fill the cargo hold
of the QE 2

I picture myself
exiting this life
as I cross the River Styx
on that very ship

I will be its cruise director

I shall be in charge
of waiting little bistro tables
where two by two
all my in-laws
out-laws
and ex-in-laws
will be seated
smoke curling around their heads

empty cocktail glasses
full ashtrays
elderly non-relations
will beg my constant attention

drooping loops of crepe paper
dirty confetti
decorate a floor
where scuffed high heels tap
while hems of faded prom dresses sway
as they look for something interesting
to do
before they arrive
in Hades

I will be responsible
for keeping glasses full
ashtrays empty
and the music going

there will be a sort of big band
with odd instruments
that will all be playing
a different tune

no one will be dancing

it will be a vast room
of mysterious perimeter
I will not be able
to see an end
to my misery
as our crowd fades
into blind distance

our crossing will be rough
some folks will be sick
I of course will be in charge
of taking care of them
as they puke

many will be looking out portholes
searching for that final destination

all that they saved for
all of their lives
all the rewards
they had hoped to gain
wait just past their horizons

as sun sets
they will promise themselves
that-yes-tomorrow
when they awaken
they will find themselves
where they want to be

alas each day
will start the same way
party hats atilt
smoke still curling
band playing
no destination in sight
water still rough
ship pitching
from side to side to side

and they will all be asking me
over and over again

Are we there yet?

Why isn't the sky blue??

What is the Meaning of Death?

4 Comments:

Blogger Fuff said...

Great stuff Fairscape, love it.

1:06 PM, September 06, 2006  
Blogger Oh great One said...

Gotta love those in-laws huh.

5:43 PM, September 06, 2006  
Blogger jin said...

OH! I LOVE it!!!
:-)

Yes. I've decided for sure now. I don't want to meet mine. Shame on me, I know. But I have a feeling it's for the best (for me anyway! ;-).

11:24 PM, September 07, 2006  
Blogger Mummified said...

This is wonderful stuff. If only we could work out how to leave the ship and escape on a fast moving sailboat leaving those cares behind.

6:04 PM, October 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home