Tuesday, May 30, 2006

surfacing

at times
even I
must come up
for air

those who have heard me read
or have slept with me
or know my life
might be surprised

but it's true

I always
try to come up
where it's safe

away from crocodiles
boat propellers
or eyewitness news teams

unfortunately
every now and then
I make a mistake

perhaps my timing is off
from waiting too long

under

my O2 too low
my CO2 too high
or nitrogen bubbles
burst in my brain
rupturing capillaries

how else could I have been so wrong

again

I rose slowly to surface
in a place made safe
(surely)
if not by nature
then by convention

and
WHACK!
I was hit full force
by paddles
in waters
I thought friendly

more acclimated to being under
I am back down
with a promise
to be more cautious
next time

7 Comments:

Blogger Sicilian said...

Love your writing. . . I am dating a surfer guy. . . I am going to share your blog with him.
Ciao

5:56 AM, May 31, 2006  
Blogger Angel In Disguise said...

You have a great gift for writing out verse.... a woman that speaks her mind... please stop by

Lori

1:00 PM, May 31, 2006  
Blogger Oh great One said...

Loved this poem. I can identify with it.

5:09 PM, June 01, 2006  
Blogger PretaMulatta said...

oh how i feel this way sometimes...
keep swimming, keep trusting!

8:09 AM, June 02, 2006  
Blogger Mummified said...

nothing is certain. all is flux. loved this one. keep writing my friend, you truly have the gift

6:35 AM, June 08, 2006  
Blogger Edward said...

Another good one.

2:15 PM, June 10, 2006  
Blogger Ike said...

As a former "TV guy", I loved your line about eyewitness news teams. But, the entire thing rocked. You know I am a huge fan. Sorry I am just catching up. Love the work!

1:20 AM, June 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home