Wednesday, December 20, 2006

legacy

worlds which parents
wish to leave
their children
are never worlds
which children inherit

I have chosen
to bequeath my sons
a world
which was probably gone
before I was born

this world I fantasize
would have disappeared
accords or no

we have long been busy
puffing smoke out of pipes
spinning chemicals
in test tubes
ripping and raping
the very bones
of our planet

results are irreversible
irreparable
though hopefully
not yet
incurable

earth will ever bear scars
of revolutions resolutions

we are sentries of centuries
minders of millennia
our spokesman
should never be voiceless
we should not succumb
to dirt cheap
when diamond hard
is necessary

we have lost
our virginity

an earthwide
hymenoplasty
can never fix
only obscure
that truth

1 Comments:

Blogger Edward said...

I am an unabashed modernist, but within me resides the lover of green swaths and swaying trees. I hope you are wrong about irreversible.

12:29 PM, January 05, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home